This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

14 for 14.

So tomorrow's another weigh in. I have high (or is that low) hopes for this week. Of course, Liz would say I'm setting myself up for disappointment... the more hopeful I am going into a weigh in, the less room I have to be pleasantly surprised. Shrug.

One major accomplishment this week… I completed my entire workout schedule! Now Sunday I did a second treadmill rather than my leg machines as the Y was closed… but I did an afternoon workout, and that's a moral victory, even if it wasn't as good a workout I may have otherwise gotten. For my morning treadmills I've decided to start tracking distance (inspired to do so by Grizzpyre). So for October I'm up to 2.7 miles. I still am doing walking only, at least primarily… I did about a minute of jogging yesterday just to see what it felt like. Even at that I could really feel the loss of weight from a couple of months ago, I just felt a lot more graceful and smooth in my movement, less like a bouncing sack of particularly angry potatoes. I am committed to start mixing in jogging as soon as I hit 350.

Which leads to a bit of a race with myself. I'm curious to see whether I will get to 325 or develop the stamina to jog a full mile first. I'm betting on 325… I can't recall for certain ever being in good enough shape to jog a full mile… not even when I played soccer in highschool… I was a good sprinter, but only for very short distances. On the other hand, back then the problem was that I really wasn't very committed. I mean, I worked as hard as I could at practice, but never spent any time on my own just trying to get into better shape. I certainly didn't get up an hour earlier than I had to so I could get in a run. I also wasn't watching my diet at all (and had I tried, I would have screwed it all to hell… I had some really wacky ideas of healthy diet back then). The healthier diet and the extra exercise should help me build stamina faster than I ever could back in HS. Only one way to find out.

Anyway, 11 hours or so until my week 6 weigh in... good luck everyone!

No comments: