This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, October 8, 2007

348.6

Lots of good news to report today.


So for a while it's been a matter of "when" not "if" I get down below 350, and it happened this weekend! I weighed myself somewhat later in the day than is my norm, and after breakfast instead of before, so that may even be .3 or so high.

Overall, I'm 5.2 down for the week, 44.2 down since August 23, and 26 2/3 % of E.O. '08. Stay tuned maybe as early next week for the 50 lb mark!


So to wrap up the weekend. I'm counting Sunday as a "off plan" day, so my new "on plan" streak record is 14 days. Liz and I agreed to a system whereby every 5 days on plan in a row I get to add a little bit of cash to my new computer fund. ($2 for 5, an additional $4 for 6-10, $8 for 11-15, etc) I've hit day 10 a couple of times now, but this was the first time I had a day 12, let alone a shot at day 15.

Sunday was a close call. I haven't added up my points yet (just got home), but I'm pretty sure I'll be slightly over. Basically I think I made as best of choices as I could have made given the situation, but not quite good enough. Plus, cutting of my streak here and starting over gives me a target to shoot for next time.

We ended up going out for dinner Sunday evening instead of doing the whole holiday meal thing, so that means I had two meals out. Sunday lunch was the worst, because we went to lunch at the Zanesville mall. The only options there are Wendy's, a pizza joint, Taco Bell, and Charlie's (a grilled steak sandwich place). I had a Wendy's taco salad without sour cream, chips, or salad dressing, and a mix of fresh pineapple and grapes, but that's still something like 10-11 points, most of it fat. Then dinner was at this really good local owned Mexican place. I skipped the chips/salsa and had shrimp fajitas. I limited myself to only one tablespoon of the beans (read "lard with some beans in it") and 1/4 cup of the Spanish rice. My Achilles heel at Mexican is warm tortillas, and I did end up having two of them. In what counts as progress for me, I did manage to leave one on my plate.

Workout wise I did a lot better than I had expected. I did get my strength training in Sunday night, because the hotel we stayed in had a set of dumbbells. I started with the 15lbs, because that's what I use at home, and found they were too light for me, and I had to switch up to the 20's, which was a real thrill for me. Then I went back to my room and did my core exercises (crunches and whatnot). Pumped from discovering I had moved up a weight level on the dumbbells, I attempted some pushups. (sort of, pushups working from the knees instead of the toes), and did about 5, which is definitely a personal first. Even as early as middle school I can specifically remember being too heavy to be able to do pushups in gym class.

Then this morning I did 4 sets of 2.5 walk/4.5 jog (.1 mile each, 5 deg incline), and went for a swim. What I've learned from this weekend is that each treadmill runs at a somewhat different speed for the numbers you give it... so when I am away from home I will need to expect to put the speed up or down depending on the personality of the individual machine. After the weekend I'm up to 6.25 miles for October.

Overall, I think it was a positive weekend, and I can't complain with the results!

2 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Hi! Thanks for the encouraging comment that you left on my blog today! I really appreciate your thoughts and input.

I've been checking out your blog, and have come to the conclusion that it is definitely going to become a regular "read" of mine. :)

Congrats on getting under 350! That is quite an accomplishment! You are really doing great with your weight loss. Keep up the good work!

Diana Swallow said...

Congrats on getting under 350!!!! It sounds like you made the best out of a bad food situation. It sounds like you took the right approach by using the weights in the hotel. I find that adding in extra exercise is a great way for me to ease any guilt about over eating.

Keep up the great work, you are going to be hitting tooterville (the 200's) in no time at all!