This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Saturday, October 6, 2007

"got up this morning for a quick jog..."

So I'm one of "those" people now, and I couldn't be more proud. I have officially taken my first step into the world of people who get up in the morning to do a jog.

Now, I only jogged .3 miles today ... my plan to introduce jogging is .1 at 2.0 mph, followed by .1 at 4.0, (all at 5.0 incline) then repeat as many times as I can manage, until I am doing a mile every day. Then I'll start breaking the routine up differently so I'm jogging .15 at a stretch, then .2.... until I get up to the point of doing an entire mile at 4.0.

Today I did three sets, so another .6 to my mileage chart (I'm now up to 4.45 for October).

Oh, and no, this doesn't mean I hit 350 and didn't bother telling anyone. I weighed in this morning at 351.8. I have every expectation of getting to report under 350 by next weigh in, but just a little ways to go yet. I just decided that 2 lbs wasn't enough of an excuse to avoid working harder on the treadmill. I also dropped my point goal down to the 350 level at the beginning of the week... though that hasn't really meant anything as I was generally 2-4 points short every day anyway.

Won't be here to post tomorrow... though Liz and I decided to stay in a hotel tonight instead of at my parents, and the hotel has a treadmill, so I'll at least get a morning walk, and maybe a jog in. (I may only walk and not risk damaging the hotel's equipment) And I am planning to come home Sunday night, so I won't be missing Monday morning either! The weekend is shaping up to be better than I expected :)

No comments: