This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Sunday, October 21, 2007

inching closer to that first mile

I wasn't sure, with a few days off, how well my treadmill workout would go today. But I managed to push myself up to .75 miles jogging and only .25 walking. My legs were a little stiff at first, but they worked out ok as I got going.

Last week when I had to do a leg workout without the Y being open, I decided to try walking a mile on the treadmill set to 10 degrees (its max) instead of my standard 5. It was a much harder workout than I had been anticipating. Thinking about it now, I think tomorrow I might try my jog with the treadmill set to flat, and see how much easier it is there. No promises, but If it makes as much of a difference as I suspect, I may shoot to jog a full mile tomorrow. Then whatever happens, I'll go back to the 5 degrees the day after, and continue working my way up to a mile on that setting.

Now I need to go fix breakfast :) Quick tip - Kroger brand frozen veggies makes two different sizes of chopped broccoli. The smaller size pieces work really well in omelets (I use store brand egg beaters for mine)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes find a break from exercise does more good than harm. Its good to read about your weightloss journey.

Diana Swallow said...

Jogging a full mile? WOW! I plot my outdoor walking route in mapmyrun.com and I calculated my jogging distance to be .1 mile 1/10 of a mile, you are going to run a mile....YOU ROCK!!!

I'm going to try something new this week.... walk jog walk jog walk instead of walk walk walk jog walk, yeah that makes perfect sense in my mind but not so much on the screen LOL

Teale said...

Hmmm.... I like egg beaters, and I like broccoli, but I've never considered putting them together.... I may try that sometime.