This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, October 12, 2007

The Regained is Relost

7 weeks ago I owned three belts. Two of them I couldn't buckle, the third I could only buckle on the very loosest setting if I squeezed.

Now I own three belts. One of which I can't buckle because there isn't a small enough setting, the other two I can only buckle on the very tightest setting, and one of those is a little looser than I'd like. It works well for pants that are about two sizes too big, but doesn't really work with pants that actually fit me (the extra material folded over at the waist band helps fill out the belt)

And I think my next new belt may come from somewhere other than casual male xl, and may have to come pretty soon.


So yeah, I'm happy today :)


As to the title of this post.... I'm declaring myself done with re-losing the weight I'd regained in the past two years, and I'm now working on new territory. I don't really remember exactly where I finished last time, and have unfortunately lost my weight loss journal from that year. But I do remember how my wedding suit fit me when I was at my lightest.

For those of you who don't know, my wedding suit is the only tailored suit I've ever owned. It was a very generous wedding gift from my in-laws, and I don't even want to think about how much it cost. So not being able to wear it has always been one of my biggest regrets in my weight gain after the wedding. Soon I'll be able to wear it for a while before it goes back in the closet as too big. If I manage to maintain my weight loss, I may even decide to have it taken in to fit again. Its a really nice suit.

So anyway, I put on my wedding suit last night, and it fits me again. A little tight, so I won't wear it for real for another week or so to avoid ripping the pants (they are over 5 years old now, after all). But it does fit me as well or better than it did two years ago when I wore it to my job interview at SEOLS.


Only 30 lbs or so to go until Highschool graduation weight (somewhere around 320). That's the new goal for the end of the year. I don't have any tactile clothes memory to tell me when I've gotten there... so I'll just pick 320, so that there's a little gap between that milestone and the big 300 milestone

4 comments:

Lyn said...

Wow, a GUY weight loss blog! How cool! I am sortof a newbie to the blogging world so yours is the very first male perspective I have seen. You're doing great :)

Teale said...

I like everything about this entry except for one thing. The line that says "IF I manage to maintain my weight I may decide to have it taken in"

CHANGE THAT "IF"!!!

You WILL maintain this wait.

Chinwendu said...

Keep on shining!

Chubby Chick said...

Wow! Congrats on the belt "problem!" That is just great! You should be SO proud of yourself!!! And good for you for getting into that suit again! What wonderful victories!

And thank you SO much for the wonderful comment that you left on my blog today. I really appreciate it, and it was VERY helpful! Thanks again!

By the way, what is your weight loss strategy? I'm always curious to know people's secrets to success! :)