This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Halftime!

So we're half way through the 11 "Fabulous in Fall" challenge. This has been a great motivator for me, and I'll be sad to see it end in another 5.5 weeks. But the blog will continue, so I'm still publicly accountable. (at least in my own head... no idea who's actually reading :) )

So this half week is producing excellent results, though I don't know for sure why. I've been staying under on points, but staying a lot closer to the line than in weeks past. I have been exercising more ... btw, I did get my afternoon workout done yesterday, and will be hopping on the treadmill as soon as I'm finished here. Though even after only a week of having a membership, I am really missing the Y this weekend :)

Anyway, this morning I was at 357.8, putting me up to 35.0 overall!!! (4.4 on the week) I did go ahead and tell L to push my goal out to 50 instead of 25, but I'm considering sending her another e-mail to move it to 60. 50 (which will take me to 342.8) should be fairly easy now that I only have 15 to go with 5.5 weeks left... though 60 is a stretch. It would mean doing almost as well in the second half as the first.

So the question is whether I would rather have a goal I'm pretty confident I can meet... and avoid the discouragement that would come in not reaching my goal... or if I would rather have a goal that would make me push really hard in the last week to try to reach it, and run the risk of not getting there.

Because I know I've done damn well on this challenge regardless of the final goal (after all, I've already blown the original goal out of the water), right now I'm leaning towards putting the goal just out of comfortable reach and pushing myself to reach it. Because I may not reach this new target, but I would hardly call it a failure.


Oh, and this most recent reading means that I've lost 21% of the weight I need to lose for End Obesity in 2008! And even if I just stay level for the next three days and end the week where I am right now, my pace for the long term goal drops to 2 lbs a week.

With 350 within shooting distance for next week, I want to establish a few new goalposts for the coming months. I'm pretty sure that somewhere between 350 and 345, I will have re-lost all the weight that I regained after my first serious diet in 2005, and will be working on new ground from that point on. Then at roughly 310-315 I will be down to my high school graduation weight, and anything beyond that will put me at least overweight I've been in my adult life. Stay Tuned!