This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

it never ends, does it?

Be forewarned, I'm in somewhat of a self-pity/bitchy mood, so this will be more of an chance to vent some frustration than any intelligent discourse.

I imagine a day, somewhere in the future, when I don't have self destructive compulsions. When I don't want to go out and buy more food than an average family should eat in a week and sit in front of the tv for hours just stuffing myself to the point of being sick. That day certainly has not arrived.

Today I had the strongest craving for Kroger's baked chicken, with the skin and the oh so salty seasoning. I barely know how to describe it. If you've felt such a craving, you already know, if you haven't, you don't and you're lucky. I felt as if I needed something high in fat and salt like I need air. Like a piece of me went missing. Deciding to resist caused me literally to break out into a sweat and my hands to shake. I started to feel ill, like I was going to pass out if I didn't just stop and indulge. I even broke down enough to stop and walk into the store, and just stood there staring at the display. And then I turned around, bought an apple and a bottle of water, and headed back for my car.

In a way this was a victory of sorts, but it feels like the most abject of defeats. After nine weeks of working so hard, of making such good progress, and there I was begging myself just to throw it all away. Just to take what I wanted now, tomorrow be damned. And Liz be damned and my friends be damned and my very life be damned, just so I could have that taste again. Just so I could have for five minutes that sensation of pure taste and abandon. I hate that part of me.

And it hates me back. Its the part of me that wants me to fail. To never take risks, to never draw attention to myself, to never speak to anyone or be with anyone. The part of me that tells me to just stay in bed and be alone forever.

And a horrible thought hit me today, and I can't help but think that its right. I don't think it will ever go away, this craving. I can suppress it. I can deny it. I can block it with healthy foods and water. But it will always be a part of me. I will never be like Liz or Tim or any of my other healthy friends who can allow themselves to do whatever they want as far as food is concerned. And it isn't because they have more willpower or higher metabolisms, its because they simply don't want what I want. Liz would be disgusted to even imagine eating a quarter of some of the meals that I now remember with a mixture of horror and fond longing. If your worst craving is for an occasional can of mountain dew or a icecream cone, guess what, you can have the ice cream cone and the mountain dew. You could even give in to the temptation to have both in a single day. You can even basically replace water in your diet with mountain dew if you want (and he knows who I'm talking about). And it won't matter.

I figured out that a box of that baked chicken that I loved so much, that would work out to over 35 points. More than a days worth of calories, beyond a week's worth of saturated fat. And there have been times when that was just the main course of a single meal. I've gone entire weeks without a single vegetable other than the lettuce that comes on hamburgers. That is who I am. That is how I got to be as I am now.

Am I changed? Or am I just lying to myself?

Will I ever be able to come across this entry in my archives and say, "man, I haven't felt a craving like that in weeks?" Months? Or will it always be a daily struggle for me? Can you really change who you are?


As an attorney, I have to attend a training every other year on "substance abuse." This is because attorneys are like five times as likely as non-attorneys to be alcoholics or become drug users. [This isn't the real stat, just made up to make the point... but there are a lot of alcoholic attorneys out there.] The criteria for what constitutes SA training is fairly broad. Usually it is geared towards either identifying drinking problems in people around you or how to get someone help or how to get help for yourself.

I have attended three of these sessions now. Once in lawschool, and two after lawschool. [heck, thinking back on it, I was sitting next to someone who reads this blog during the one in lawschool ;)]. I have never made it through one of these trainings yet with dry eyes. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind admitting that I have extremely overactive tear ducts for a guy... I cry every single time I watch "Wonderful Life." So the fact that I get teary eyed doesn't necessarily mean all that much.

In lawschool, it was during that lecture that I had the moment when I first admitted to myself that I had a real problem with food and with my weight. That started me off on my first real attempt at life style change. And I lost like 40 lbs, but gained it all back with interest. As it happens, my friend who was sitting next to me that day is also the same person who came out of nowhere and somehow convinced me to get back on the wagon this fall. I have moments when I seriously wonder if she isn't an angel of some sort.

The most recent one of these was about a week ago now at Programwide. It was planned by a wonderful woman who happens to be married to one of my bosses. She is a counselor of some sort for people with drug/alcohol issues. According to her talk, studies have found a brainwave pattern in alcoholics which is not found in non alcoholics. This wave is either balanced or canceled, or something, by the ingestion of alcohol. And here's the kicker. This brainwave is considered to be a medical basis for the insistence by many alcoholics that they only feel "normal" when they are drunk. That without alcohol they just don't feel right in some vague sort of way. And further research has suggested that such a thing exists for other addictions as well.

This hit me like a ton of bricks. Months or maybe even years ago, Liz asked me why I eat the way I do, why I enjoy food so much. And the best answer I could come up with wasn't that food makes me feel good. I don't feel a high from really rich chocolate or particularly yummy dessert, or a fat and salt infused chicken breast. No, I eat those things because I feel normal when I eat them. Like without them something just isn't right with the world.

So no, I doubt I will ever be so good, so faithful, so hardworking in this new lifestyle that I don't have the occasional overwhelming urge to chuck it all overboard and go on a bender. My only hope is that with the help of Liz and my friends I can get past the hard parts. And that when I do slip up, I will be able to find my feet again.

6 comments:

Daniele said...

First, let me say well done for not giving into the temptation and craving. That is HUGE and deserves to be acknowledged and applauded.
I have done just that, walked into the store, stared at whatever it was I craved, and walked back out again. It takes all I have to do that (walk back out) and sometimes I don't succeed.

And I ask myself the same questions you do. I don't think we'll ever be completely free of those cravings. I imagine that I used to have a similar diet and lifestyle to yours in our previous lives. I would eat ridiculous amounts of food, without spending a second on how many calories/fat that was. I just didn't care. I loved eating (still do) these things and they made me feel good.
The only thing I feel different about is the 'feels normal' bit. I am starting to feel different about that now. I don't think having two big plates of spaghetti with meatballs and so much cheese you can't see the pasta anymore is normal.
What I don't yet feel 'normal' about is the amount of exercise I think I should be doing. Exercise feels very strange to me, it does not come natural at all. But I'm hoping it will one day.
You are definitely changed my friend. You're not lying to yourself. If you stop for a minute when you have the craving and think about what you really want your life to be, and what you are achieving on a daily basis.. you'll realize that a craving is just a craving. It's not YOU. YOU are this wonderful person who is improving their health and their life every day.

Alea said...

Well done for staying strong and not giving in to temptation! And thank you for being so open and writing such a candid post! It gives me lots to think about. You're an inspiration.

Chubby Chick said...

Don't feel bad about having the desire for the chicken. I think we all get cravings from time to time. Just be proud of yourself for resisting! I wish I could say the same. I have had a HORRIBLE October so far, and have been eating everything in sight. I'm trying SO hard to get back on track today. I know if I can get one good day under my belt, the second day will be so much easier.

Diana Swallow said...

I really needed to read this tonight. I had a horrible day food wise brought on by stress of my job or soon to be former job. I snapped to my senses finally and realized that stress the demon and I was feeding it with food.

Have you ever read Steph's blog? Wheretheheckisbarbie? She lost 245 pounds with WW. She started at 385 and now weighs 140. Please go to her blog and read this post
http://wherethehellis
barbie.blogspot.com/2007
/10/i-lied.html
I put in returns so the address would fit, just take them out and paste check out this post.. Reading this post made me realize that even after I reach goal, like Steph, I'm always going to struggle with these urges to overeat. I'm going to turn to food in moments of stress unless I fight with every fiber of my being to stop it. I don't think there will ever be a point where its a natural reaction to ignore the food and not hear that voice in your head calling out for yummy chicken. We have to fight. Like an alcoholic fights to not take a drink, like a drug addict fights to avoid drugs. We have to fight to avoid binging. We have to fight to avoid letting food be in control. I think this is why blogging is so important. We put it out there for the world to see. Its not our little secret anymore, everyone knows. We have to own our choices and when we fall, we get back up. Thats what makes that we've all found each other in blog land so special. We help each other back up again and encourage each other to keep fighting this fight...always...because we ARE worth it!

Chinwendu said...

In terms of food we are not normal, but recognizing that is how we begin to win the fight over our compulsion. Thanks for your post. More will be revealed to you just keep your mind open to the signs.

Teale said...

Great job for not giving in to your craving. However, (and this may not be ideal for everyone) I have to give in to my cravings a slight amount every once in awhile. If I am just DYING for cheesecake & can't get it out of my head, it completely throws me off kilter mentally for a long time. So, I indulge in a very little amount. It's enough to satisfy that craving, but keeps me from going overboard with it in the future. Hopefully you can find a happy medium.