This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

When I've reached my weightloss goals ....

When I got my job after lawschool, Liz and I suddenly had a lot more income coming in than we were used to. So we anticipated, and kept saying, "hey, when you start getting a paycheck, lets do ______." It quickly became too much to keep straight, so we had to start making a list, so we could be sure to do the highest priority things first.

Well, I need to start making a "when i've reached my weightloss goals" list. These are things that I couldn't do right now, either due to physical or psychological barriers, which the pure act of doing them will be a celebration of my achievement. This list is going to be a work in progress, and I will put a link to this post somewhere on the blog so you can check back for any additions. I'd also love any suggestions you might have, just leave them in the comments.

So here they are, in no particular order than the order that I happened to think of them in. And they don't all necessary require the same goal, some can happen at a higher weight than others.

Last updated: 10-11-2007

When I have reached my weight loss goals I will:

1) Finally take scuba lessons. I went diving once, just in a swimming pool, at a summer camp in seventh grade or so, and I absolutely loved the experience. I've always wanted to learn to dive for real, but it simply isn't practicable at my size.

2) Rent a convertible for a road trip. And not have to worry about whether I will fit behind the steering wheel.

3) Go swimming where there are other people other than just Liz.

4) buy a tailored suit once I have reached a level that I want to just maintain and not lose any more

5) fly in an airplane and not be afraid that they'll make me pay for two seats

6) join a softball or soccer or basketball team and be able to hold my own

7) run a half marathon. I really don't have any interest in doing a full one, they are just brutal on the well being of even a conditioned athlete, but a half would be fun.

8) hike up a mountain. And not be winded any faster than Liz.

9) Ride a bike from one city to another. I don't know why, this has always been something I though would be a lot of fun if I could do it.

10) Ride a train in a sleeper car.

11) Have the experience of being "checked out" by a woman who doesn't know me and be able to imagine that she likes what she sees

12) Feel confident showering in the locker room.

13) Not have to think about my weight every single day without regaining what I've lost

14) Canoe down the Muskingum I used to love canoing at summer camp. Then one year I ended up having to drag my canoe a good chunk of the way because the water was shallow that year and the boat kept running into the river bed. I haven't canoed since.

15) Shop at a "normal person" department store.

16) Go to cedar point which is another of those things I loved to do growing up but haven't been able to do in years.

17) Play backyard football and maybe even on the "skins" team.

18) Dance at bars or programwides without having to be drunk first. First Accomplished: October 18, 2007, fall programwide.

19) Join a choral group - this has more to do with lung capacity than weight, but the two are related. I sang in school choir for 7 years and in my church choir for about 2, but that's long past now.

20) Go onto the roof of my house and not worry that I'll fall through

21) Climb a tree - I've never actually done this, I never had the upper body strength to match my weight.

22) Climb a ladder without being worried that it will break.

23) Sit on the patio at a restaurant and fit into the chair and be confident it will hold me.

24) Attend an Indians game and be able to fit in the seats and ...

25) Attend a play or the above mentioned baseball game and be able to slip down the row past other people to reach my seat.

6 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

Excellent list! A lot of the items on my list have to do with "fitting"
1. the airline seat is a HUGE one
2. same with amusement park rides
3. we want to buy a sailboat but honestly I couldn't fit in a sailboat shower right now
4. I loved to ride bikes as a child, Ken often talks of buying bikes once I'm thin enough
5. we want to canoe up and down some of the beautiful rivers

I have a list with over 100 things on it and I just keep adding to it, but the fitting in spaces thing is probably the most common theme on my list.

We will get there!

Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog earlier. I typically don't share those moments but it was an important part of the healing process.

Chubby Chick said...

Great list! Some things I'm looking forward to doing are fitting in chairs and booths at restaurants, being able to go on rides at an amusement park, jogging a mile, and being able to buy clothes off the rack.

Becardi said...

Great list Mike! A great reminder for me too!

Teale said...

This is a great list!

I found your blog through a comment on someone else's that I read. Right now, I only read other women's blogs, but I think I will begin reading yours as well:)

I also started my journey on August 21st!

Gibbons-Camp said...

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to include amusement parks, canoing and buying clothes at normal stores! Thanks for the comments ;)

Chinwendu said...

I love this post, I must create my own list as well. Keep it coming.