This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Sunday, October 7, 2007

at least one workout

So I did get my treadmill in again this morning (1 mile averaging 3.3 mpg at 5 deg). Either a) my treadmill under estimates speed, b) the treadmill I was using this morning over estimates, or c) I was walking with a noticeable increase in energy. I pushed myself up to 4.0 mph and was still at a walking pace today, 4 is definitely a jogging pace at home.

And then I did five laps in the pool before heading back to the room.

I am still hoping to get a workout in this evening in Cbus, but at least I'm not going to miss both of my sessions today.

And Comfort inn has hard boiled eggs on their new upgraded continental breakfast. No skim milk though, but I had thought ahead and brought my own.

Anyway, so far the weekend has been 100% on plan. Now for the challenging part :)

3 comments:

Chinwendu said...

I like your dedication. I like that you are making preparations and paying attention to your own physical recovery. I like your ability to accept this level of change into your life. I think you will have everything you want. I like you, Mike.

Starfruit said...

Congrats on the jogging this time next year you will be doing 1/2 Marathons with me, Becardi & Kmbuckeye! Keep up the good work!

Gibbons-Camp said...

Thanks for the thought... but I would be more than thrilled if I can even finish a 5k. Its a long long way from .3 miles to 13 :)