This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

how big is too big

So I've had a lot of experience in deciding that pants are just too damn tight to wear any more. I've never done the reverse. I actually have a pair of pants which are coming right to the cusp of that, and will sooner or later need to make the decision to put them away.

Not that I will get rid of them, they are my biggest "fat pants," and I'll want them down the road. Admit it, everybody who has ever set out to lose weight imagines themselves doing the fat pants photo. Well, I certainly do.

Right now the pants fit me loosely enough that, standing, I can put the base of my thumb against my stomach and the base of my pinky against the inside of the waist band without any stretching the pants or tightening my stomach muscles. Sitting they maybe only have about an inch clearance.

So here's the question. In theory, as long as I keep buying ever shrinking belts, I can continue wearing pants that are much to big for me, I just take them in with the belt. But eventually the waist is not going to be the only problem. So I will need to figure out when they just look baggy on me. Fortunately I have two or three pairs of pants that I've reshrunk into (thank goodness for being a pack rat), so I won't have to go out and immediately buy a whole new wardrobe.



So, in terms of waist, I think I've made pretty impressive progress. I started out wearing pants that were size 58" waist and a little too tight. Tonight I went through my "too small to fit pile" and found a size 56" and two 54" that fit me well, and even my size 52's I could put on and button though it looked too tight on me.

I haven't bought or worn a size 54 since at least the beginning of the third year of lawschool (3 years ago)! I think that while I'm right around the weight that caused me to give up the last time I lost a lot of weight, I'm doing a better job of converting fat into muscle, so I'm getting more change in physical size for a smaller weight loss. I know I didn't get down to wearing my 54s last time.

In other words I'm doing it, well, if not "right," at least more right than ever before. And that's progress.

1 comment:

Chinwendu said...

Congratulations on the smaller pants. I actually just had to go get some new pants 4 weeks ago. It's a good feeling. So, I encourage you to buy some new pants soon. Make sure your clothes represent how you're starting to feel about the "New Mike!"