This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Sunday, October 21, 2007

midweek report for week 9

I was writing my midweek report in bed this morning, and in my head it started something like this...

"Well, I always said there'd be weeks like this. I'm afraid I have to report my first negative loss. Now its only a midweek report, and I can't say I'm surprised with programwide then a visit in Z-ville followed by my parents coming down to watch the games yesterday."

and so on. But by some miracle, I don't have a negative report. I don't have much of a loss to show, but it is still in the right direction :)

Current Weight : 340.8

Loss this half week: 1 lb

Loss for 8.5 weeks: 52 lbs.


I did get out to the Y yesterday, but I did not get my treadmill in for the day. I did the Y in the morning because a) they close at 4:30, and b) my parents were arriving at around 3 to watch the buckeyes game. I figured I'd get the treadmill in before bed, but we ended up watching the Michigan and the Indians games (extremely painful, btw), and by the time we called it a night I could barely walk up the stairs before falling asleep. I feel somewhat guilty about it now... its the first time in three weeks or so that sticking to my schedule would have been practicable, and only lack of motivation/energy on my part made me slack.

But it's done, and I'm back on the wagon, so I'm not going to obsess. And hell, I've still made some, if not stellar, progress this week. Can't complain about that!

And as of today I'm back on a normal schedule... no expectations of any specific challenges until Saturday. Saturday I'm attending a wedding and a costume party, so I'll probably only do my treadmill in the morning and not get an evening workout, plus who knows what I'll end up doing food wise. But at least I can end out this week strong and try to make up for some lost time.

2 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

I think the most notable part is your recovery time from "off plan". I think you are probably like me and would go off plan in the past and stay off plan for weeks/months/years? I know I have. But now you get right back up and get on plan!! You should be proud of that!

Teale said...

A loss is a loss! Keep on keepin' on:)