This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

another trip to the gym

So I'm about to leave for another workout at the gym. Today marks 21 days in a row that I've gotten in both planned workouts. Not a bad first run. Tomorrow I will almost certainly miss my afternoon workout and then Friday I'll miss the morning jog. But I'm recommitting myself to getting back on the horse Saturday.

This will be the last workout vacation until at least Thanksgiving.

So I still don't really have a plan for how to get through my retreat (called programwide, btw). Not drinking shouldn't be too hard, the place we're going has a lousy bar anyway, and I'm trying to stay in budget this month. Lunch will be all but impossible... I don't recall there being any veggies last year, except veggie burgers. One thing I have not yet learned to tolerate is fake meat products. I love all sorts of veggies, and I've even learned to like tofu... but fake meat stuff is just wrong for me.

Do you ever drink out of a glass thinking it's milk and it turns out to be OJ or something else? You like OJ, it tastes fine, but in that moment it just tastes wrong. Like your body is all set to register milk, so the taste you get is interpreted not as OJ but as really funny tasting milk? That's kind of how fake meat tastes to me. Like I can't convince my eyes that it isn't going to taste like real beef or whatever, and then when it doesn't it just tastes... wrong.

So I think the best solution for tomorrow will be to just do the best I can, try to stick with beans and any veggies that do show up. And not worry too much about it if I am not perfect.

You know, there are so many reasons in my life I have no right to be an uptight perfectionist with myself. One of these days one will get through to me ;)

If anybody reads here who doesn't read scale junkie... check out her letter to herself. I need to say the same thing to myself pretty much every time things don't go perfectly, I'm just not as articulate about it. Thanks for the inspiration, SJ :)

1 comment:

Patty said...

Dee said to check you out Mike, so hi!

I don't eat meat, and often run into events where I need to be creative. I will order a cheeseburger with just the cheese (but this is too faty for someone counting calories), or a burger with just the condiments. Also, baked beans actually make a really tasty burger.

Keep eating the "fake" meat if you want that in your diet long term. It takes ten weeks for our taste buds to catch up to our habits/desires.

Here's to the new and improved you!