This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, October 29, 2007

mid week number 10

So I've officially hit my first plateau. The 330's are out to get me!

Current weight: 337.4

Loss this week: .6 lbs

Total Loss: 55.4 lbs

So we'll turn to other measurements for some positive news. When I went out to find a scale that would be high enough capacity to use for me, I also spent a few extra bucks and got one that does fat percentage. I haven't really paid attention to that so much yet, but have made note of it every now and again. Today I realized that using that, I could get a rough idea of how many pounds I've lost that were fat pounds and how many were lean/water pounds.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased to learn that of my 55.4 lbs weight loss... approximately 60 lbs were fat. So whatever water weight I've lost has been regained in extra lean mass, plus another 4.6 lbs for good measure.

This is a fairly big relief for me. While I enjoyed losing the first fifty pounds in only 8 weeks, I was always a little concerned that I was doing something wrong, and would end up losing muscle instead of fat. Apparently that isn't the case. I'm hoping that as I work my way through this wall I've hit I will be able to report fat pounds lost even if I can't report over all progress.



I do have a new roadblock/challenge in my way, though. My treadmill has decided to take a vacation. I can get it to turn on, and to claim to be going through the calibration sequence, but the belt just won't move at all. So I ended up getting no formal exercise yesterday (we did go shopping so I got a little bit of a walk in), and this morning I left the house at quarter past five to go to the gym and use one of their treadmills.

I am going to call tech support today at lunch to see if there's anything I can do. Unfortunately replacing the treadmill just isn't feasible at the moment, so I may be going without for a while. Hopefully I can get into the habit of getting over to the Y before work, but it does make for an awfully early morning.

5 comments:

broccoflower said...

Remember, any loss at all is still a loss. They commend you at any Weight Watchers meeting as much for a .2 loss that they do for a 2.0 loss.

8 lbs in 10 weeks... amazing. You are going to be my new inspiration.

Caroline said...

WOWzers 50 lbs in 8 weights is an incredible weight loss - you are keeping up with the biggest losers on TV and then some!! Great job, you are doing so well!

perhaps as your treadmill is broken you could just start walking out doors, get an Ipod and go for it!!

keep it up you are doing amazing!!

Maddds

Diana Swallow said...

This is the point in the game where you learn patience. 50 pounds in 8 weeks is amazing! I'm glad you have the body fat measure on your scale, I'm wishing I would have bought one of those. I haven't seen much loss this month on the scale but I'm feeling it in my clothes. Its always good to have a back up way of measuring your success. Keep up the great work!!

Chubby Chick said...

Congrats on another weight loss! You have done an incredible job so far! 50 pounds in 8 weeks is awesome!

Good luck with the treadmill!

Teale said...

Congrats on a loss. No matter how small, a loss is a loss, you're doing great! I hope your treadmill gets better soon!