This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

a new day

Its a new day, and a new, more positive outlook. I got an unusually restful night's sleep, woke up to a healthy breakfast and a even healthier jog. Tomorrow is a weigh in, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I will pass the 50 lb mark.

As for the jog... I'm now up to doing a mile in 4 sections of .1 walk/.15 jog, though I dropped my jogging speed back down to 4.0 for three of the four jogging sections. Once I'm back up to doing 4.5 mph, I'll start pushing myself to .2 miles jogging at a time. I'm also up to 14.3 miles for October. I have little doubt I'll get to 20 miles for the month, maybe 25 if I push it, though I am going to have to take Friday the 19th off. I think 25 miles a month is a good target to end out the year, then next year I'll try for 30.

I have to leave extra early tomorrow morning, so It'll probably just be a quick post with my results for week 8. Then I'll be back here either late Friday or mid day Saturday, depending on whether I come straight back home or if I head up to Z-ville Friday night.


-------------------------------

I do want to take a second to explain one of my subversive thoughts from yesterday, because I don't want to leave anyone with a false impression. When Liz suggested that I might need liposuction at the end of my journey, it wasn't because she lacks confidence in me or is not supportive. Liz really has a lot more confidence in my ability to keep at this project than I do. Her reasoning was based on some research cited in the Abs Diet (which we've both read). The author says that abdominal fat consists of lipids, and that lipid cells can only expand so far before they split into two cells. He also says that while it is possible to remove the fat from a lipid cell, it is impossible to make it disappear all together. Therefore once you have x lipid cells in your abdomen, you can only lose weight by making each cell as small as possible. Liz is worried that I have so many lipids now that even if I empty them as much as physically possible, I will still be overweight from where I want to be. As we read the Abs Diet's reasoning, the most dedicated body builder would need liposuction to get past a certain point.

I'm holding out hope that that no more progress level is somewhere below the obesity mark, if not below the healthy weight mark, and that I will just decide that I had reached a level where I could happily maintain my weight. Liz thinks it might be higher than that. However, even if I am happy with my weight, it might make sense to have some of the cells removed, as the cells themselves are potentially harmful (release hormones that can cause high blood pressure, etc) and having the cells there makes it easier to regain the weight once I've lost it, which I definitely don't want to do.

Anyway, this is all a couple of years away, so I'm not going to worry about it right now. I just wanted to set the record straight.

------------------------------

Chubby Chick, thank you so much for your kind comment from yesterday. I know you don't have a lot of spare blog time this week, so I am honored that you took time to read through my somewhat self-pitying rant yesterday :) I promise to keep posting!

No comments: