This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, December 17, 2007

You're a mean one.....

So a friend of mine must have gotten tired of me not having weigh-ins, and is sending me a scale as a Christmas gift. It should arrive Wednesday or so. Hopefully I won't break this one quite as quickly :) I do feel a little sheepish, we've been good friends for oh, nine years or so now, and I don't think i've ever gotten him a christmas gift...

In some ways, I confess I'm actually a bit of a Grinch. I mean I love Christmas lights and flowers and carols and parties and all that. (and of course all the unhealthy foods that goes without saying ;) ) I've got at least a little of Christmas decoration in more than half of the rooms of my house ... only time of the year I do anything that could even be considered decoration... including a nine foot + Christmas tree that I went out and cut myself. I'm really into the pageantry and the festive feeling and the cheeriness of Christmas.

But on the other hand, Liz and I haven't gotten each other Christmas gifts for the past three years (counting this year), we've only managed to send out Christmas cards one Christmas out of the six we've been married (twelve if you add in years dating). I still vaguely consider myself a protestant Christian (if only loosely affiliated at best) but I haven't attended a candlelight service or even church on Christmas Sunday of my own volition in nearly a decade.

In all, you could say I celebrate a rather selfish version of Christmas... I'm happy to expend the effort to put up a tree and a few lights, maybe sing a few songs... but everything I really enjoy about the holidays are the zero effort type of stuff. Watching old Christmas cartoons [btw, the reference the other day was to Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, the old claymation cartoon special], visiting with family, sitting in front of a Christmas tree and a fireplace or waking up to open presents and have hot cocoa.

Of course, I guess that's the way little kids see Christmas... maybe some people just never grow up.

1 comment:

Chubby Chick said...

I LOVE the old Christmas cartoons... and the old Christmas movies! Watching them is one of my favorite holiday traditions. "The Muppet Christmas Carol" is one of my absolute favorites. I guess I'm still a kid, too. lol

I hope you're having a good week! :)