This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, December 21, 2007

middling fair

Some days I log in because I have something I want to say, something I want to talk about. I log in, type in a title, and go for it. Other days I just start writing for the sake of writing, and see where it takes me, and then force some sort of title at the end.

Guess which type of day this is :)

Today did not go as well as I would have liked. A coworker brought a bunch of baked sweets to work this morning, and I foolishly allowed myself a pumpkin doughnut. It was very good, but then again so not worth it. Then dinner tonight ended up being at Golden Corral as the new Olive Garden had a hour long wait (an Appalachian style buffet for those of you not familiar with it). On the bright side, I am mostly proud of the choices I made there.

My standard approach to buffets is to start with a big salad if there are any greens worth mentioning. Fortunately they had fresh spinach and spring mix, so that was a treat. The salad dressings left much to be desired, but I went with Italian which usually has more good fats and fewer additives than most. I really prefer a light (and no HFCS) catolina, but that's hard to find when you're out places. Then I had some corn, baked fish, and roasted turkey breast.

The bad - way too much food in total. The good - at least almost everything I had was a "power food" in abs diet parlance.

In the end, I guess I'd say today was an "off plan" day, but no worse than a middling day overall. I may not have met my ideals, but I didn't give up on them altogether as I have so many days in the past. And I was conscious of my decisions and their ramifications, an important step in retraining my mind and appetite.

Tomorrow I'm off to mom's family.

Oh, and if you're a sporadic reader, be sure to check back next Wednesday for big news.

1 comment:

Twix said...

Ooooo, big news!! I can't wait, ;)!
I recently went to one of those buffet places this past Tuesday. And I ,too, set out with the right intentions. I had a small salad, fist size, I was smug about it, lol. And then before I ate any supper I let a smallish cookie slip my lips. Uh oh! That was followed by anothe and another. Then as if that weren't bad enough I ate cherry cobbler. Topped it all off with a 16oz pepsi. I called it quits and walked away. Oy! Let me tell you I payed for not eating dinner. My stmoach was a mess with all that sugar. These places are still, and I imagine always will be, a challenge for me. Thought I would share my story with you!
Merry Christmas! :D