This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Saturday, December 15, 2007

a tower made of a million bricks...

Some victories come in the form of winner takes all, do or die. Others are simply the sum of a series of small victories. Today was a small victory for me. I've recorded all of my food for the day, stayed under on points, did not violate any of my cardinal rules, did my exercise, and even got some of the housework done. And if I do the same tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that, the large victories that I need in my life are all but inevitable. I just need to stay focused on that one brick at a time, and I'll get there.

I can't say that I feel as happy or excited as I had hoped to feel after today. But I am glad that I've made this first step towards getting my goals back on track. And tomorrow will be day 2.

My goal for tomorrow, repeat today's positive steps, clean the refrigerator, and then go grocery shopping so that I have some healthy options in the house. Then its back to work on Monday.

2 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Yippee! I'm so happy that you had such a great day! Good for you! See... you CAN do this!!! This is the first "brick" of many to come! :)

Diana Swallow said...

I'm so glad to see you blogging again! One brick at a time builds a solid foundation! You can do this!!