This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Saturday, December 15, 2007

week 16 report in

Harsh reality time. I still don't have a scale that works (it wants to report me at 327 lbs). Based on how my clothes are fitting and how I feel, I think a more realistic estimate is 358 or so. This is unacceptable.

I may take some time to try to figure out why this has happened. But I've been doing that now for six weeks, and I haven't found any clue. So as of right now, the last six weeks are deemed irrelevant.

Saturday, December 15th is going to be the day that I get back on track.

I've gone from frustrated to angry to self pitying to depressed over the past several weeks. Now I'm just determined. I am going to get back on track.

Step 1 - blog to excess.

I don't know why, but going easy on myself about recording and blogging always leads to being a slacker in other ways. Skipping exercise, buying a bottle of pop because I have a headache, having whatever I want at the office Christmas party because it's a Christmas party. Indulging in cravings.

I don't even know if I have any more than two readers left at this point. If I do, it is because those of you who read this are much more loyal than I deserve, and I won't forget it. Tomorrow I'm off, and I'm going to spend the day on house work. During the course of the day, I will blog, at a minimum, every time I have any food. I probably won't keep up that pace next week, but I will write once a day until I am back on pace.

Step 2 - resurect the food chart.

I haven't kept a full day on my food chart since the last day I finished a full week on plan, six weeks ago. That ends. It simply does not make sense that I am willing to lose sleep for computer games or the like, and not to take the time to better myself.

Step 3 - read blogs and post comments

Of all of the things I've done wrong over the past several weeks, the one that causes me the strongest feeling of shame is that I mostly stopped reading other blogs. I've already started the process of getting caught up with my blog-land friends, who I hope will welcome me back into the fold.




"You put one -- foot in front -- of the other and -- soon you'll be wal -- king cross the --- floororor." (major bonus points if you get the reference)

1 comment:

john - from fat to fit said...

I'm having the same problem this week - I haven't been blogging much and that has translated into a lousy week not doing things I should be doing. Or is it the other way around?