This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Thursday, December 20, 2007

week 17 - first weigh in

So here it goes.

I was a little off on my estimate a couple of days ago. I've backtracked further than I could admit to myself. I'm back up to 362 even. So I'm up 19.4 from my low point on November 1, but still down 30.8 from where I started back in August. Surprisingly, I can still make my "End Obesity in 2008" goal if I get back on track at 2 lbs a week. I realize that is not very realistic, but I'm surprised that it isn't completely implausible yet.


Off to a good start today though. I did a workout on the treadmill, and now I'm off to find some breakfast (and I've already got the spreadsheet open and ready to go for week 18).


Goal for week 18: lose 1 lb despite Christmas parties, etc.

4 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Don't be discouraged! You are not alone!

I started my blog in August at 368.4 pounds. The lowest I got was 342. I weighed myself last Sunday, and I was 375... which is 6.6 lbs. more than I weighed in August... and 33 more pounds than I was at my lowest!

I weighed myself today, after being "on track" for 4 days, and I'm down to 364.9 pounds. That's 10.1 lbs. less than Sunday, and 3.5 lbs. less than when I started in August. (I hope I didn't bore you with these stats! lol)

Anyway, my point is... WE LOST WEIGHT THIS YEAR!!! That is good... no matter how you look at it! Sure, I wish I hadn't gained any weight back the past few weeks... but there's nothing I can do to change that. I can just move on from here and do the best that I can today... and tomorrow... etc.

You've lost A LOT of weight this year! Congrats on that! And I KNOW that you will continue to lose in 2008. So will I. We can do this! We WILL do this!

Keep the faith. Keep up the good work. Let's learn from the "struggles of 2007" and turn them into "successes of 2008."

We didn't quit. We didn't give up. And we're not going to. 2008 is going to be our year!

Anonymous said...

30 pounds is amazing. You should be so proud! 30 pounds lost is better than 30 gained and you are on the right track. 2008 will be your year. Keep up the good work. I will be checking in cant wait to see your progress.

Caroline said...

Congratulations!! Losing weight is hard, but keeping it off is so much harder!! Keep working on making those permanent changes to your life especially the exercise that pays off huge on your road to a healthy you!! You can do it!!

P.S. I have learnt during my journey that spreadsheets of weight loss usually don't work out and I have found they added pressure and sometimes made me feel like a failure, I was very optimistic or crazy when I started this journey and was sure I was going to lose 3 lbs a week, well here we are a year later I should have reached goal this year but still have 55.5 lbs to go!! I will get there, just not when my spreadsheet says I should!!

Maddds

Kathy said...

Hi, Mike! I'm Kathy from Kathy Calculates...I'm beginning my third year of healthier eating and have lost about 80 pounds. I have not been perfect...I have not met goal...but I have learned so much. This is not a short-term fix for any of us and it takes as long as it takes. I'm looking forward to what 2008 will bring and I'm confident that December of '08 will find me weighing less than I do now. Keep up the blogging...I love my blogging friends...they are my greatest asset!