This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, September 10, 2007

momentary setback - notes from last thursday

So I had something akin to a crisis of faith Thursday night, which Liz helped me through, and I was back on the straight and narrow by Friday morning. Here's what happened:

We had a reception at my office on Thursday because our office had been open in Chillicothe for thirty years. A couple of people, well one actually, got way extracurricular about food for the party, and we had just an insane amount of really good food. I made it through several hours, but then made a cardinal mistake... I told myself that it wouldn't be so bad to have just one or two of our Paralegal's amazingly wonderful meatballs. I'd been so good this week, right.

And then two became god knows how many. And I had shrimp cocktail and lots of whole fat cheese. I did manage to avoid the chocolate fondue and the cake, so that's something. When I started out with this blog, I said one of my biggest weaknesses is the inability to have "just one." This really applies to everything and anything, not just food. I can come home from work and do housework all evening, but I cannot come home, watch a half hour of tv, then get up and do housework all evening. It just never works out. Once I rationalize giving myself an inch, it always builds up to a mile.

And its like I don't even realize what I'm doing until its too late. So I got home, and thought about how my night had gone, and just kind of freaked out. I lost all confidence in myself and in my chances of making this whole project work.

Fortunately Liz was home, and she convinced me that the most important "just one" to learn to do is to be able to have just one really bad day, and then get back on the horse tomorrow. And that bouncing back tomorrow is something I can do.

And that's what I did, and now I've been back on task for the past 4 days. I'm feeling confident and upbeat.

Now, if I can just avoid being in the same room as those meatballs from now on :)

No comments: