This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Sunday, September 2, 2007

midweek update

So today is the half way mark for week two.

So far this week is going well. I'm down 3.6 lbs for the week, bringing my total to 16.3. I've gotten up to do my treadmill every morning, and I think I'm making good choices on meals.

Yesterday I did a mile on the treadmill ... 2.0 mph, 5 degree incline. So that's one milestone reached a little early. This week I'm going to try to get accustomed to 2.2 mph, so I can try a mile at that speed next Saturday.

Today will be a challenge. I've been roped into attending a birthday party for my grandmother's new husband (her fourth). He's actually an ok guy, so I don't mind the party all that much. The two problems are 1) my grandmother will no doubt want to serve a traditional Appalachian farm family meal... all meat, grease and starch with nary a veggy in sight, and 2) her husband is very proud of his home made, full fat, full calorie, ice cream. Which, to add insult to injury, isn't very good. So I will just try to have as little as I can get away with without upsetting family politics, and hopefully not backslide too much today.

No comments: