This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, September 24, 2007

is it midweek already?

This is a short week due to my late weigh in last week, so it is already time for the midweek report. I'm marching along at a great pace this week! I've already passed 365, so down to less than 15 to go before the big 350 checkpoint. I almost said goalpost, but that's not right, my total goal is much further. This is just the first milestone along the way.

Speaking of ultimate goal, I have set a very very challenging, but ultimately possible goal for myself. I'm sure everyone who has tried to lose weight has used, at some point in their lives, a BMI calculator to gage where they are. At 6'1", and an insane number of pounds, I am of course far into the "morbidly obese" category. I've been tracking my estimated bmi as I go along, and it is plummeting nicely right along next to my weight.

And that brings me to the big goal. I'm calling it "End Obesity in 2008."

For my height, my estimated bmi will go from "obese" to "overweight" at 227 lbs. If I continue to keep my average loss per week as high as 2.1, I will hit 227 on Christmas day, 2008. Right now, even excluding that 12.8 first week, I have been averaging 3.93333 per week. And I'm already at just over 3 for this week, and we're only half way through.

Now, I have no way to know for sure that this will happen. After all, losing the ten pounds from 370 to 360 has got to be easier than the ten pounds from 237 to 227. I will have to lose the first 100 pretty fast, to allow myself the time to lose the remaining pounds more gradually. It will require a lot of hard work, a lot of sacrifice, and a lot of believing that I can do this.

And, as always, a lot of support from my friends and fellow travelers.






Another photo from Niagara, Liz likes to play with the timed photo feature... she claims its the only way to get a good photo of her.

No comments: