This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, August 24, 2007

second day

There's one thing I really hate about starting a new diet. The first pounds fall off so quickly, that I actually get worried that I might be going "too fast." And then, of course, the brakes get applied and I move nowhere for weeks on end.

I also need to hide my scale during the middle of the week, as there is no way I will pass it by in the morning and not want to check on my progress. I recognize that checking every day (or actually multiple times a day) is entirely unhealthy, but there you go.

Anyway, with the caveat that it is just those first pounds that are frustratingly easy to lose when I put any effort into it, and that I am fully aware that I'll have fluxuations up and down each day, my scale does report me at 3 pounds down from yesterday.

More importantly, I found my morning workout a little easier than Wednesday's, and I'm finding cravings a little easier to suppress.

As to workouts: When I am "on task", I do a weight training every other morning (just dumbbells for now, though I want to get a weight bench this fall) and an aroebic workout every evening (usually either treadmill or DDR, though if I mow I count that as my evening workout). This week I am 3 for 3 on weight training, but have not been doing my evening workouts, so hopefully I can turn that around starting next week.


Current status

Mood: realistically optimistic
weight: 389.8

1 comment:

Lock Ness Monster said...

During the week, the scale is the devil. I can't tell you how many times I've had a bad mid-week weigh-in that caused a frustrated eating binge. You're smart to want to hide it.