This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, August 31, 2007

freestyle dieting day

So yesterday was an interesting day in the greater scheme of my diet plans. It was the first day I didn't really have any way to count my points. We did a carry-in for work. I brought a veggie tray with humus, and managed to skip the obvious land mines (the brownies, muffins, even the fried chicken!) and stuck to a egg salad 1/2 sandwich and a little pasta-pesto salad (about half tortolini half tomato, and I tried to get mostly tomato)

So on one hand, I really have no idea if I was at all close on points, which is bad, and I strongly suspect I was low on fiber. On the other hand, I believe I made the best choices possible without offending anyone (I had a little of everything that was home made except for the muffins and brownies).

In the long run, if this is going to work as a life long change, I will need to learn how to make good choices and eat healthily by instinct and habit, not just because I have to face my spreadsheet when I get home. I can’t rely on it as a crutch forever. So here’s my plan. I will continue to use the spreadsheet for the 11 week challenge. Then when the challenge ends, I will go off the formal point system, and just try to “eat well.” If I am able to keep up the weight loss, I will stay off the spreadsheet until another challenge begins. Then I will go back on the formal system to see how close I was staying to the guidelines without checking every day.

Of course, if I go off the plan and find I’m gaining weight again, I will immediately jump back to the spreadsheet. Better to rely on a crutch and walk than be without and fall down.


For what it’s worth, I’m 1.1 down from yesterday. That’s bye bye to the 380's!

2 comments:

broccoflower said...

Unfortunately for me, every day is freestyle dieting day...

Starfruit said...

Don't give up the spreadsheet, even at the end of the challenge! Or at least continue to keep a food journal. Making good, healthly choices will become second nature, but it's always good to keep yourself accountable at the end of the day. I always keep a food journal whether or not I'm on program.