This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, August 27, 2007

Going on a fiber hunt....

So I think the hardest rule I've set for myself thus far is managing to get at least 25g of fiber every day. I've been taking fiber supplements (mix in water), but I can only do that so often. I did just discover that a banana has 3g of fiber, but with its 105 calories it still works out to 1.5 points each. I also found a fruit leather which is pretty good, helps with sweet cravings, and has 6g fiber, so I think I will be buying more of those.

Anyway, the first few pounds (what I've heard called water weight... honestly don't know whether that's accurate or not...) have continued to drop off at an exciting rate. I'm now down 9.4 from Thursday, with three whole days left to go in the week. I'm expecting my shrink rate to level off at around 11 or 12 down, so next week may not be so much fun. But I am enjoying this while it lasts!

In order to have a more challenging challenge, I think I may reset my goal upwards a bit. Basically I'll say that my goal is to lose 25 lbs plus whatever I shed this first week.

Current status

mood: optimistic, though it is Monday and I do have Court first thing :(
Weight: 383.4
Progress: 9.4 lbs.

2 comments:

broccoflower said...

I am obsessed with Fiber One bars (the chocolate chip ones). They have a bazillion grams of fiber in each one and are like 1.3 pts each.

Gibbons-Camp said...

I looked into those... the problem is that they have HFCS and Transfats. I especially need to avoid HFCS, as they are a leading cause of diabetes, which is a very realistic fear of mine.