This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Another hurtle crossed

So I'm feeling a lot better today. My head is still a little cloudy, and I've still got a nagging cough, but the breathing is much better.

To celebrate, I actually got up early today and did a treadmill workout. I managed to do 20 minutes at 4 degrees. Mostly at a fairly slow 1.5 mph, but its a start, right? I did move up to 2.0 for the last stretch. Of course, when I was done I was ready to go back to sleep for a few hours, and was probably as wet or wetter than when I got out of the shower a little later, but then all that means is that I got a good workout, right?

Today is also my day for a weightlifting workout, but I didn't think I had time for that this morning, plus Liz got to sleep in, so I didn't want to wake her up. Besides, I think I am going to try reversing my old schedule, and get up and do treadmill every am, and then do weights in the evenings after work on weight days. Grizzpyre made a comment about getting up and doing treadmill every morning to get his heart rate up and improve metabolism all day, and that made a lot of sense to me. So I will try that this week and see how it goes.

I also have a progress report, a little different than usual. Even though the scale is a big liar, and varies throughout the day and depending on how you stand on it, it is an easy way to report progress on here. The problem is that it seems more reliable because it is objective, a number that can easily be compared to something else. Real signs of progress are harder to relate over distances or in a blog, but I think they are all the more important to share. I will continue to post important weight measurements, especially the official week weigh-ins, but I will try to post some non-imperial data as well.

Today's progress report therefore is that my shirts are fitting a lot better than a week ago. I'm not to the point of trying on things I had declared unwearable, I've got another 10 pounds to go before I'm there, I think. But the last time I wore the shirt I'm wearing today it was tight enough, not that I was worried the buttons would break, but enough that the buttons would come undone several times during the day. And today, it fits me just fine. There isn't any strain on the buttons at all, I didn't have to tug even a little to get it buttoned in the first place.



Lastly, a big thank you to everyone who has sent me e-mails or posted comments here. Please keep them coming, the positive reinforcement is so vital to my being able to keep up my progress! Thank you also to Grizzpyre for the positive example to strive to emulate.

1 comment:

Starfruit said...

Focusing on non-scale victories like your clothes feeling better is essential to losing weight and keeping off; it definitely helps you get through low points when the scale isn't going down. Keep up the good work!