This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

not giving up

So there have been a lot of opportunities to just give up and walk away from this in the past couple of weeks. It would have been easier in the short run.

Thank you for reading and sticking with me, and keeping in touch with me through this rough patch.

I want to post a happy uplifting message again. I want to be proud of myself the way i was just two weeks ago. I want to go through a single day with no mistakes and no sliding and no cheating myself. I want to expand that to a week, to a month.

Tomorrow is "put all the pieces together" day. Tomorrow i am going to 1) do both of my workouts, 2) stick to the plan in terms of food, 3) read blogs, 4) write my food journal, and 5) be able to post a happy message at the end of the day. And then the day after that I'll do the same, and the day after that I'll wonder why I found it so hard to do that for this "time off."

7 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

Its a tough time right now for me too. So much going on. I want to get back to 100% too, I'm at about 95% right now but its just not enough. Don't give up and I won't give up either.

Chubby Chick said...

Hang in there. You can do this! I'm going through a rough patch right now, too! It seems like there's a lot of that going around right now. A lot of us are struggling... but we mustn't give up.

You've done an amazing job so far... and I know you will continue to do so! :)

Anonymous said...

PLEASE don't give up! It will get easier, I promise.

Chinwendu said...

Stay strong Mike. Take your time. Let the world come to you. Let go of the things outside of your control, and focus on what makes you better.

Teale said...

It sounds like a lot of us that started around the same time are all having struggles right now. Would you give up on your best friend if they fell off the wagon & made a few mistakes? No. So don't give up on yourself either.

I used to be a big Sheryl Crow fan, and one of her lyrics seems appropriate: "Noone said it would be easy... but noone said it would be this hard" We can all do it though!

Chubby Chick said...

Just popping in to say "hi." I hope everything's going well for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Mike - Where are you? Keep blogging and letting us know how you are doing. We miss seeing you.