This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Monday, November 19, 2007

belated week 12 wrap up

So sometimes I hate blogger. I'm sure this has happened to others, but I had a fairly long post disapear on me last Thursday, and was too frustrated to want to write it all up again. I'm not sure why I let that bother me so much, I mean, stuff happens, but that sort of situation always tends to lead to not posting for a while. In fact, every blog that I've started and then later abandoned was because of a day just like that one.

But don't worry, I'm not going to abandon this effort.

I really don't have anything of importance to post though, and that's the problem. I ended week 12 .2 lbs down from the end of week 11, and right now I'm back another .5 on the week. I'm not completely on or completely off plan. I'm doing a lot of things wrong, a few things right.

Really everything can be reduced to not focusing enough, not paying enough attention to this part of my life. I haven't been keeping my food log at all or blogging. I have been exercising, but not making it an absolute rule.

I guess the long and short of it is that i'm still here, I'm still struggling, and I'm still trying to make progress.


What have I learned through this last several weeks of slacking off?

I think I need to make concrete short term goals for myself. Realistic short term goals work. I did have a goal set for thanksgiving which was not realistic, and when I realized that I could not achieve it it really set me for a loop. It was kind of a, hey, I'm not going to make my goal, why should I care if I miss it by a little bit or a lot. That's really not the attitude I need right now.

So, what is my goal. Well, Since I have to do my week 13 weigh in on wednesday morning (two days from now) I'm going to set my week 13 goal to .5 lbs down from where I am right now. Then my week 14 goal will be 3 lbs. Then I'll reevaluate.


Thanksgiving schedule - I will be in Zanesville Thursday, Columbus Thursday evening through Saturday noonish, and back in Chillicothe Saturday evening. I will find time to post tomorrow and Wednesday, and probably not again until Saturday.

Tim, keep me honest on this... give me a call Sunday if you don't see a Saturday post!

3 comments:

Teale said...

Blogger always autosaves my entries... then if I close out of the window or can't finish, if I go to "edit entries" it's there!

Now off to read the rest of your post!

Diana Swallow said...

I typically type in word and paste into blogger so I don't lose yet another post.

I know the holidays are going to be hard for me. I've adopted the 80/20 rule...on plan 80% of the time with 20% indulgence. If I can maintain through the holidays, I'll be a happy blogger, let the asskicking resume in January. It may not be the best attitude but it works for me for now.

Chinwendu said...

Glad to see that you have returned.