This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Thursday, November 8, 2007

good riddance to week 11

So "the rumors of my death..." and whatnot.

Truefully, this week has been very hard on me professionally and personally, and I am glad to see the end of it. Here's to a better week 12.

I'm up 5.2 lbs this week, taking me back to 339.6. I can't say I'm surprised, as I really haven't done anything right this week at all. I mean, I haven't been completely off the wagon since Sunday, but I haven't been making the best choices possible either. And I haven't been keeping my food log or blogging. The last two can be somewhat explained by the insanity at work, but it still is not anything to be glad about.

So, I need a recovery plan. Something to turn things around and get me focused again. I think I will start with the blog. I will make every effort to post at least one entry every day for the next week, in hopes that will inspire me to get back into the habits which had been serving me so well for 10 weeks.

I can do this.

3 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

This is such a difficult time of the year and I had a very similar conversation with a friend of mine about getting back on track and she reminded me of our 80/20 rule about dieting around the holidays. 80% of your meals must be on plan and healthy allowing for 20% of off plan in moderation. Just because you have a bad breakfast doesn't mean the rest of the day should be bad, you must get back on track for the very next meal not the very next day. Honestly Mike, I'm fighting and struggling with every meal. I'm forcing myself to use Fitday every day to track my calories and I'm making myself walk daily. Some days are better than others with the food but I can't give up. I won't leave this year heavier than I went into it. Just know that the next 50 days or so will be the most challenging. Once January is here, everyone gets back on track and the food frenzy ends. For now we have to be very mindful and fight as hard as we can. Use this time as a time to learn more about your body and diet. Just know you aren't alone in your struggles, I'm struggling too. Just keep fighting and don't ever give up!

Anonymous said...

Please keep on posting. We are all pulling for you. Even if it is just a line or two to let us know how you are doing/feeling. I think it will help you a lot. Hang in there!

Chubby Chick said...

Yes, you can do this! We all fall off the wagon from time to time... it's part of life. So try to forget about the past. None of us are perfect. This isn't easy for any of us... but it is SO worth it!

Definitely keep blogging! I think it will help you a lot. We're here to support you. And we miss you when you don't post! :)

Hang in there! And have a great Week 12! :)