This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Sunday, November 11, 2007

happy birthday mom :)

So my mom doesn't actually check my blog, in fact she doesn't really know how to use the internet at all, but happy birthday to her anyway.

Completely meaningless coincidence... I was born on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, the day that is generally cited as the introduction of the US into WW II, my mom was born on the anniversary of the day which is remembered as the end of WW I.

Anyway, did pretty well today, but didn't get any formal exercise in. Tomorrow should be a holiday at work, but I have depositions, so I have to work. But I will definitely make time to get to the gym, so that's a positive.

The wedding was nice, but quite long. Did allow myself the prime rib at the reception, but skipped the alcohol, fried appetizers, and wide array of cookies and candies. So all in all I don't feel like I have any guilt from that.

I'm getting sick of recommitting myself and saying, ok, bad half hearted time is over, back to work. I feel like I've been saying that a lot lately. I guess I could interpret that as incentive to make it stick this time :) Here's to ending out the week in a strong way.

In keeping with my goal of getting back to the system that was working really well, tomorrow I am going to restart my food log. I have been skipping that far too often, and it is too easy to cut corners when I don't have to face the points at the end of the day.

Several people have commented that I could just find time to walk outside now that my treadmill is busted and going to the gym for their treadmill is proving difficult. The problem is 1) it's freaking cold in Ohio in November, especially at 5:30 am! :) and 2) walking outside is more public than I think I can handle at this point. At least at the gym everyone else is working out. But then six weeks or so ago I though I couldn't handle doing the gym thing, and just had to decide to make myself do it, and it worked out fine. So I'm not dismissing the idea of walking outside altogether, but I can't say that I've worked up the guts to do it yet.


Ok, deep, calming breaths. I can do this.

2 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

Happy birthday to your Mom! My Mom was a November baby too!

I'm trying to log my food too and I do really good up until the point where I find the bag of mint hershey kisses and have a few...or 10 of them...I know I just need to own it and log it in Fitday but seeing that on the screen is probably more reality than I can handle today.

Yes I'm the one who said you should walk outside, I forget Ohio is cold I should know, I grew up in PA and it was cold there too. As far as not feeling comfortable walking in public, this is where having a dog or two comes in handy

Teale said...

We're probably going to spend our whole lives recommitting ourselves. It's a learning process, and we never stop learning.