This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

the never ending cycle of mowing

So I've kept my food log for a week, and stayed under point limits for each day this week!

Tonight I had to mow, a job that I tend to put off as long as I think I can get away with before one of my neighbors decides to burn down my yard and be done with it.

It seems like everyone on the street has a different attitude towards mowing. My neighbor to one side has about as much grass in their entire lot as we have in our front yard, and they tend to mow at least three times for every one time that we do. Sometimes I'll see him out mowing literally two days in a row. Then our neighbors on the other side hire their mowing done by some guy who looks to be about undergrad age, and he does a very meticulous job, but only about as often as Liz and I do ours. Some people trim their sidewalks, others don't, there's one guy I frequently see out sweeping the street in front of their house.... which may be commendable except he just sweeps everything one house up or down the street.

Growing up in the boonies, and then college and lawschool in housing that came with other people to do the yard work, these past two years have been the first time in my life that my community at large has an interest in what yard work I do and how I do it. Sometimes I think I'm over sensitive to this... like I'm paranoid that all my neighbors are going to hate me if I don't mow as often as they do, or if I plant the wrong kind of flowers. Either way... all will be forgiven in a few months... we have the best tomato garden on the block.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent. Here's hoping that the second week follows suit.

(Haven't been to Olive Garden in a few years-- was the last time I went with you?-- but I do have to say that the breadsticks are pretty tasty. Also, I'm guessing that you'd be much better than me at ignoring the wailing kid...)

Twix said...

Oh my gosh! I love tomatoes!! Mmmmmm!!!

You're not overly sensitive about your yard. Lol! I think we have the same neighbors, hee!!!!!! Oh my! That would be a trip!! My yard is med and thick, sometimes long. Thick with weeds..lol. Our neighbors get into mowing wars around these parts. It makes me chuckle something furious! It always seems one will start, and within in minutes the next and the next and the next ones will; except us. The funny part is we will wait and do ours the next day or so and sure enough some silly goon will come out and mow his shorter...even though he just mowed it less than 24hrs ago. Lol!

Glad to see your back! Have a great, fantastic day!! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job keeping up with your food log-- and your lawn. Our lawn helps me appreciate have teenaged sons. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Your progress photos are great: best of luck reaching your weight loss goals!!

Diana Swallow said...

I find it so much easier to just hire someone to do the lawn, your time is more valuable than spending it on a task you don't enjoy.