This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, May 9, 2008

eventful week

I've managed to avoid any overwhelming hunger cravings this evening, and now it's past the time when I allow myself to eat anyway (I try not to eat within a couple of hours before sleep), so I think i managed to make it through the day with points left over again. I don't like it when I have to make such rough estimates, but you'll have that sometimes. All in all I'd say a B- on the day.

This coming week is going to be jammed packed for me. I'm off to my parents tomorrow for mother's day weekend. Then Thursday and Friday I'm off to my office's retreat (we do two days at a state park twice a year, I generally refer to it as programwide because all the offices in SEOLS attend). Programwide presents an interesting challenge in that there is generally very little by way of choice at meals, and Thursday evening is generally punctuated with excessive drinking. I am pretty sure I haven't had more than a single drink at a time since last August (alcohol is a killer when you're counting points, and I was never much of a drinker to begin with so that didn't go by the wayside when everything else did over the winter) but I may decide to relax that rule for a change, since it is a fairly unique event. And then Liz's parents are down from Toronto Saturday and Sunday, so we'll probably spend some time with them.

Then the big event coming up is Sunday, which is my sixth anniversary. Nothing really special planned, since most of our energy and time is devoted to getting ready for the baby right now, but hopefully we'll find something fun to do.

Liz and I have been fairly non-traditional when it comes to major gift giving couple events... we pretty much just get things for each other and ourselves as a couple when we want them, so getting a specific gift often seems somewhat anticlimactic. Of course, we've always been somewhat that way... Liz picked out her own engagement ring and we bought it together too. In part, Liz really doesn't like surprises, (woe to anyone who ever plans a surprise party for her and doesn't tell her in advance) and I'm never patient enough to actually bring a gift home, hide it for however long, and then give it to her on the day it was supposed to be given. Plus, when we bought the house we kind of decided it was our present to each other for the next thirty Christmases or so. I admit it does make me feel a little weird when friends ask me "so, what are you getting Liz for her birthday?" or the like. But for whatever reason it just sort of makes sense for us.

I guess this is the long way of saying that I won't be posting what we got for each other for our anniversary, because we probably won't.

3 comments:

Hanlie said...

We also don't do the gift thing! We're each others' best gifts ever! Happy anniversary!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Good luck on managing things while you are away.

Diana Swallow said...

Traditional 6th anniversary gift is wood. Ken bought me a gorgeous jewelery box that some sales woman helped him pick out...I really should have sent her a thank you card.

That being said we are pretty much a buy it when we want it/need it kind of couple and gifts are anticlimactic, a nice dinner out is about all we do these days.

Enjoy your trip.