This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, May 9, 2008

my first slip up (this time around)

Well two almost perfect days then a half perfect day, not a bad start all in all, right?

Ok, first the bad... I let a friend talk me into a fried fish dinner. It was for a good cause (a church youth group wanting to help make repairs to their church), and good company, but really bad food. I had fried fish and onion rings and baked beans. All was tasty, but not tasty enough to justify itself to me as anything but a bad idea.

The good news is that after some internet searching for as best I could estimate recipes and nutritional facts, I ended up with a couple of points left for the day, even including that meal. Now, it's not anywhere near bedtime yet, but I have six points yet to work with. So one one hand the food was really bad quality (like high sat/trans fats, sodium, etc), but on the other hand it shouldn't set the weight loss portion of my health improvement goals that far back, so long as I am really careful this evening. Of course, I couldn't measure the food served nor do I have exact numbers, so I'll just try to leave as many points on the table tonight as I can.


The other good side of this (at least for me) is that I came home and recorded it, I didn't just go back to ignoring my diet and my goals like I've done so many times the past few months. That's progress.

So, Tim, today I do have a clear cut "worst thing" for the day.

Anyway, off to wash wallpaper glue off the halway walls (I really wanted to work on the garden, but it's raining again... I think it's rained every single day this week... quite frustrating because I have plants I want to get into the ground.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"No phonics monkey! That's a bad phonics monkey!"