This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

and 4 to spare

First day counting points in a while, ended up with 4 left over for the day. That's really good for me, because usually when I rededicate myself to keeping tabs I go crazy and leave 10 or 15 points on the table, which inevitably leads me to rebelling as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I had a few moments today that were pretty hard, but for the most part I think I've set a sustainable pace.

Tonight was also the first completely home cooked meal I've found time to make in at least a month or more. I did grilled chicken (boneless skinless breast) with a pseudo-greek yogurt/garlic sauce (plain yogurt, garlic, sugar... cucumber is generally included, but I can't stand cucumber, so mine is without), corn on the cob, and a salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, yellow pepper and homemade greek salad dressing (olive oil, fresh oregano, lemon juice, garlic, sugar). I really enjoy cooking, and when I do cook my meals tend to be much more healthy and satisfying, it's just finding the time to do it that's the issue.

While I feel a sense of accomplishment for staying on plan for a day, this feels different than the times I've done the "good for a single day then back off the wagon" routine lately. I had fun with it today, and I haven't felt that since last October. Maybe it bodes well, maybe not, but my spirits are definitely lifted, and I'm more optimistic than I've been for a long time.

4 comments:

Change One said...

Mmm ... yummi Greek food. I'll try to think of something equally fun to make for the next time I'm home in the evening.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Good man! Part of the challenge is making sure you eat enough.

Hanlie said...

Good for you! Don't worry about being perfect. Better is good too! And before you know it you'll be in the swing of things again.

Felicia said...

One day at a time is what will get you there!! We expect ourselves to be perfect when no one else does. There is no perfect. There is just who we are. Move forward with the thought that you did better not that you missed stepped ok!

That chicken sounds YUMMY!!!

*huggles*
=0)