This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Thursday, May 8, 2008

learning all over again

Another gold star day today, I've recorded everything and have 6.5 points left over.

I really don't know how I managed to keep to this restricted calorie intake and manage to find the energy to do two workouts a day before. Today I've barely had the energy to keep my eyes open. Granted, that's mostly lack of sleep more than lack of food, and it was a particularly long day at work, so that adds its little bit too. I really needed to get some housework done tonight, but it just didn't happen.

Things are still all "green light" for the baby to be born the end of June. We've got a little more than half the remodeling done that we need to complete, and I can see how that may be possible to finish, if I can find the energy to keep at it. I hope to get a lot done this Saturday. I did run into one wall that I can't do myself and I'm having to have a contractor come in to work on it, which kind of sucks due to timing, but can't be helped. Basically there's a brick wall in the room that will be the baby's room that needs rebuilt because the bricks got exposed to moisture sometime in the past (the roof has since been replaced) and are all crumbling apart. The biggest challenge at this point is finding a time when Liz or I can be home to let the guys in to work on it.


As for me I'm feeling completely freaked out about the whole having a child thing, and a little overwhelmed at work, but I think the decision to rededicate myself to my weight loss goals is helping alleviate some of my stress.

It's far too late for me to be able to catch up with the original "end obesity in 2008 plan." Basically i've gained almost every pound back that I lost before. I haven't decided on a long range goal now, but my short term goal will be just to get through the month still on plan, regardless of results, and then to add in returning to the gym in June.

----------------------------------
My official "restart" weight is 387.3

I'm down a grand total of 5.3 lbs since August 23, 2007. Which is just pathetic... I lost more than 12 lbs the first week on this diet, and was down more than 25 within the first month.

----------------------------------


Anyway, so a long way to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look, even if you regained most of what you lost the first time, that effort is still valuable-- you now know that you can do it, and you know what works and what doesn't.

Work can be a serious impediment to making progress on grand plans, though. Does your office have a paternity leave plan? It'd be pretty sweet if you could take three months off, paid...