This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Tuesday (aka end of week 21)

So today is a new start for the blog, as I post my opening salvo in sorts to the Healthy You Challenge. I'm hoping that I can convince myself that this is the big kick off to the year for me, and that 2008 will be marked by great strides forward.


Current Weight: 363.5 (yes, going the wrong way from last week again !!) :(


Current goal: back down to 350 by the end of February.


Current Outlook: Pessimistic.

11 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Congrats on a new start! I'm glad you joined the "Healthy You Challenge." It's nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing, you know?

Hang in there! You can do this! And I believe that you WILL reach your goal by the end of February! :)

Trisaratops said...

Welcome to the challenge! You're going to do so well - there are so many people here to support you - it will be nearly overwhelming. You can do it!

Becardi said...

Hang in there Mike! I am struggling to get back into the swing of things too, I know how hard it is. But it will be easier to do it now than to wait a month and then try to get back into it (trust me on that one - one month has turned into many months for me!)

Diana Swallow said...

I went the wrong way for a few weeks too. I know you can turn this around. You have a new baby on the way and thats a great reason to make a turn down the healthy path. You can do this Mike!!!

Carleen said...

welcome to the challenge- you'll get the scale going in the right direction....just stay positive- you can do this! :) see you around

Hanlie said...

I'm also restarting my efforts, but instead of aiming for great strides, I have realized that I'm a tortoise and not a hare, and therefore I am making gradual changes. It seems to work for me and I will be gaining momentum as the year progresses.

I'm glad that you're back on track!

Teale said...

I'm doing the challenge too. We'll do it, 2008 will be a great year!

Anonymous said...

We're all in this together my friend. You've done really well already, and I'm confident you will do great things this year!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the challenge! What's your one goal for this week that's not numbers related? By signing up for the Healthy You Challenge, you're already on the up and up. Keep your head up. It's okay to have some bad times. It'll turn around.

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! Keep going!! Best of luck in your weight loss journey, and enjoy the Healthy You Challenge!

Anonymous said...

wow - you are doing so well, good stuff. I hope joining the Healthy You Challenge helps you get back into the zone.

Have a good week.