This is a public diary and a public confession. Its the story of Mike Gibbons-Camp, a 30 year old legal aid attorney who on August 23, 2007 weighed in at 392.8 lbs. Thanks to the constant support of my wife, Liz, and a kick in the pants by a good friend who I hadn't talked to for a while, I finally decided that enough was enough. But instead of quietly suffering with my weight, I started my blog, "New Me?"

I did really well for 10 weeks, then it completely fell apart. I was in denial for a long time, thinking I was just slipping up a bit, making a mistake here or there. But the reality was that I had failed.

Since then i've tried just about everything I could to get back on the wagon. And i've done well for a week here, a week there, but nothing lasting. So I don't know what to tell a new reader to my blog, but "welcome, and wish me luck."

Friday, February 8, 2008

getting my whole life in shape

Usually if your computer won't boot up properly, its a problem with the hardware or the operating system. Occasionally though, its the keyboard cable. I've spent a lot of time asking myself why I'm failing at this diet thing. Why i'm breaking all the rules.

I've had a good week this week. And a lot of time to think. And I got to thinking that perhaps the problem wasn't so obvious. Maybe all the other stuff that was wrong with my life lately was a cause, not just a symptom.

So i've focused some time an attention to getting things under control at work... And after a lot of effort and some very long days, i'm more on top of my paperwork and organization than I have been in at least a year. This week was also an annual review for me, and it was more positive than I expected. So I'm more happy and less stressed out at work.

More importantly, though less in my control, we had a positive ultrasound on Tuesday. I can admit to myself now that I was extremely worried about that. But everything is good on that front as well.


So now I have more headspace to refocus my efforts on my diet/exercise. I had a workout at the gym this evening (my first in longer than I want to think about), and while I'm feeling extra beat, I'm proud of myself for just getting out there. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm feeling optimistic, but perhaps just a bit hopeful and excited to get back on the horse at long last.

I think my keyboard is plugged in properly now. Let's try rebooting.

3 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

I was just thinking about you today, wondering how you and your wife were doing and WOW, you posted!!

Nice to hear you've found your way back! Just take it slow and easy and those old healthy habits will come back.

Felicia said...

One foot in front of the other will get you to goal. You can do it!! Glad to see you are getting refocused! Best wishes to you!!

Have a SUPER weekend!
*huggles*
=0)

Hanlie said...

Well done! I am so pleased that your keyboard is plugged in! You're worth it!